How do you sew your own curtains?
How to Make Curtains
- 1.Measure. If you’ve ever done a DIY, you probably know at this point that the first step is to measure—and that you should really measure twice before making the first cut! …
- Cut fabric. …
- Pin and sew one side. …
- Create lining hem. …
- Sew second side. …
- Flip curtain right-side out. …
- Create rod pocket. …
How do you make easy unlined curtains?
Making Unlined Curtains
- Cut the fabric to the required size, allowing 10cm (4″) for side hems and adding 20cm (8″) to the length for top and bottom hem allowances. …
- Turn in a double 2.5cm (1″) hem at each side and pin.
- Turn up a double 7.5cm (3″) hem at the lower edge and pin.
- Mitre both bottom corners.
Is it difficult to make curtains?
Making curtains is easy, but only if you know the basics
Curtains are almost all straight sewing, making them an easy project for beginners. That said, there are still some basics to master before embarking on sewing curtains for the first time.
Which way do you cut fabric for curtains?
Make sure your fabric edges are straight. Align your L-square along the selvage (vertical) edge and with your marking pen, make a line along the perpendicular (horizontal) side. Cut along the line and you have straight edges. For solid fabrics, be sure all cuts are made along the exact crosswise grain of the fabric.
Is it cheaper to make curtains?
Apart from saving just small pennies for your curtains, you should also consider if it’s time-wise for you; convenience is a big factor these days. Sewing curtain fabrics might be cheaper, but it sure do cost you a lot of time.
Do you need 2 curtain panels?
While it may seem logical that curtains should come in sets of two, curtains do not always come in pairs. They most often come in panels. Panels are a single piece of fabric or one curtain. If you want a typical curtain pair, you will need to buy two panels.
What are the easiest curtains to make?
The cheapest (and easiest) curtains to make are tab top. The panels aren’t as gathered so they use up less fabric than a pair made with header tape.
How much material is needed for curtains?
Fabric calculations – Most curtains will require somewhere between 1 ½ and 2 ½ times fullness, depending on the heading and look you want to achieve. I always prefer to be generous and use 2 ½ times the width, skimpy curtains don’t look good and you can always use any extra fabric for cushions or tie backs.