How does an old sewing machine work?
Machine sewing would not be possible without its complex mechanism of belts, drive shafts, and cranks which transform the motor’s rotation into a synchronised movement of:
- the needle and the two threads, for stitching.
- the presser foot and the feed dogs, which pull the fabric forwards between two stitches.
How do you thread a vintage sewing machine?
How to Thread a Vintage Sewing Machine
- Place a spool of thread on the spindle and an empty bobbin on the bobbin winding spool. …
- Disengage the hand wheel to prevent the needle from rising and falling as you wind the bobbin. …
- Run the machine until the bobbin is wound.